The location database of the BLO contains more than 40,000 names of places, municipalities, administrative districts and regions and natural geographic areas in Bavaria. The location data are complemented by further information and linked with external and internal further facilities.
Search in the Location Database
The location database can be searched directly for locations, municipalities, administrative districts and regions ("Landkreise" and "Regierungsbezirke") and natural geographic areas. Users can also access the database via a map of Bavaria and the hierarchical index of administrative subdivisions.
The data sets for the locations are complemented by the following additional information:
- topographical data, reference number of the municipality and of its subdivisions (correlation to current administrative entities)
- sheet number of the topographical map 1:25,000
- Gauss-Krüger coordinates
- catalogue entry in the Historischer Atlas von Bayern (Historical atlas of Bavaria; statistics of the locations of around 1800, correlation to historical administrative entities)
Internally the locations are in each case linked to the superordinate administrative entities and to quarters or smaller locations belonging to the municipality, to the district and to the sheet of the topographical map 1:25,000.
Cross-linked services of the Bayerische Landesbibliothek Online:
- In the case that the data set contains indications of pages in the Historischer Atlas von Bayern (HAB – Historical atlas of Bavaria), a link leads the user directly to the corresponding page in the digital version of the HAB – provided that the volume in question has already been digitised. (locations only)
- On the basis of a search with the Gauss-Krüger coordinates users can locate maps containing this location in the geographic information system of the university library of Regensburg. (locations and municipalities only)
- It is also possible to retrieve Ortsblätter (cartographic maps) and Urpositionsblätter (original land survey position sheets) for a municipality or a location, provided that such maps or sheets exist.
- Locations mentioned in the Historisches Lexikon Bayerns (Historical Encyclopaedia of Bavaria) are identified unequivocally – provided that they are in the current territory of Bavaria – and are directly linked to the entry in the location database.
- Users can search for keywords (location name) in the online edition of the Zeitschrift für Bayerische Landesgeschichte (Journal for Bavarian regional history) and in the image database of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek.
- In the case that the speaking linguistic atlas of Bavaria contains any sound documents from the location, a corresponding link is also provided.
Cross-linked external information services:
Information on the project
The starting point of the location database was the compilation of a standardized, comprehensive register of locations for the Historischer Atlas von Bayern (Historical atlas of Bavaria) started by the Kommission für Bayerische Landesgeschichte (committee for Bavarian regional history) of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences. The committee first evaluated all volumes of the series Old Bavaria and Swabia and combined the thus produced location-name file with the municipalities file (of 1997), containing Gauss-Krüger coordinates that are published and maintained by the Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (Bavarian State Agency for Statistics and Data Processing). Here the correlation of locations took place on the basis of the modern administrative subdivision after the local government reform of 1972. In a second step also the data for the Franconian atlas volumes were collected.
The location database is published within the framework of the Bayerische Landesbibliothek Online with the consent of the Committee for Bavarian regional history and of the State Agency for Statistics and Data Processing. The data are updated continuously.
The project has been accessible online since 2002.
Zuletzt aktualisiert: 04. September 2012